Diabetes Empowerment Education Program
The Diabetes Empowerment Education Program, also known as DEEP™, is a class designed to help people with pre-diabetes, diabetes, relatives, and caregivers gain a better understanding of diabetes self-care. Classes last a total of six weeks, providing participants with eight unique learning modules.
Goals of the DEEP curriculum include:
- Improving and maintaining the quality of life of persons with pre-diabetes and existing diabetes
- Preventing complications and incapacities
- Improving eating habits and maintaining adequate nutrition
- Increasing physical activity
- Developing self-care skills
- Improving the relationship between patients and health care providers
- Utilizing available resources
The class meets once a week for at least 2 hours. The class meets for 6 weeks.
To find a workshop near you contact the Elder Helpline 1-800-262-2243 or email HealthyAging@agingresources.org