older lady in heart-shaped glasses, redefining agingThe first of the Gen Xers turned 50 in 2015 and along with their Baby Boomer counterparts they are redefining aging.

Let’s think about what there is to look forward to about getting older.

Life really does get better!

According to Gallup polls, Americans aged 70-79 are 11% more emotionally healthy than those aged 25-39.

“But if we are truly happy inside, then age brings with it a maturity, a depth, and a power that only magnifies our radiance.” 
― 
David DeidaIntimate Communion

 

Your creative capacity grows!

The arts help us stay healthier and live longer lives.  And it’s never too late.   Emmanuel Kant produced his best works between 60 and 80.   Grandma Moses began to paint earnestly at the age of 78.  Crystalized intelligence is a way of saying that you have gotten good at what you do from many years of practice and experience…this keeps improving in your 60s and beyond.

“There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.”

― Sophia Loren

 

You don’t care what people think!

Some studies show that social anxiety is less prevalent in older age than with younger persons.  This may be associated with increased self-knowledge and self-satisfaction.

“I grow old … I grow old …       

I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.”

― T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and Other Poems

 

The quality of your life is in your hands!

About 30% of characteristics of aging are genetically determined.  The other 70% are linked to lifestyle.

“I don’t see why there should be a point where everyone decides you’re too old. I’m not too old, and until I decide I’m too old I’ll never be too ****** old.” 
― 
Lemmy Kilmister

 

You won’t be alone!

In the year 2025, the number of Americans over 65 is expected to outnumber teenagers by more than two to one.   Four out of five people now survive to age 65 or beyond.

“It’s very simple. As you grow, you learn more. If you stayed at twenty-two, you’d always be as ignorant as you were at twenty-two. Aging is not just decay, you know. It’s growth. It’s more than the negative that you’re going to die, it’s also the positive that you understand you’re going to die, and that you live a better life because of it.”

― Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie

 

Strength in numbers!

As the population of those over 60 grows, so does their voting power.  Which means more say in topics important to you such as Medicare, Social Security, and healthcare.

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,happy elder woman in hat dancing, redefining aging

Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

 

You can begin redefining aging with Healthy Aging workshops at Elder Options.  To learn more visit https://agingresources.org/healthy-aging-program/.